BASMATI RICE– 1lb
Cumin seeds – 2tsp
Bay leaf – 2
Dry red chilli – 2
Cinnamon sticks – 1 large broken into small pieces
Cardomom – 4
Tumeric powder – 1 tsp
Salt – about 2tsp per lb each of rice and daal
sugar – 1tsp
cumin powder – 2tsp
ginger paste – 1tsp
garam masala powder- 1tsp
Ghee/clarified butter – 2tbsp or more
- Dry fry the mung daal in a pan till it becomes light brown in color. You will get an aroma.
- Wash and soak the mung daal for 2hours.
- Wash and soak the rice for 2 hours.
- In a large / 4 quart scaucepan pour some oil and add the following to the oil:
cumin seeds),bay leaf, dry chilly(optional) and gararm masala(cinnamon,clove and cardamon).
- Add the soaked daal into the vessel. Add turmeric powder,salt,sugar to taste, cumin powder and ginger paste. Add water to immerse the daal and bring it to boil.
- Add rice when the daal is half done and add water approx same volume as the rice. Let it cook till the rice and daal are fully cooked.
- Add some ghee and garam masala powder at the end. Make sure the mixture(khichuri) is neither too watery nor too dry.